Intrusion and the presence
of raccoons, what can be done?
The raccoon or wild cat has a beautiful face; which causes many people to want to feed him.
In the regions and suburbs, it is too often found in our garbage cans eating leftovers.
As one of the protected species in Quebec, you are forbidden to do any harm to it. You only have the right to capture it and move it to its natural environment. You will only achieve this with the help of a professional who specializes in the capture of wild animals.
What can you do to prevent an intrusion into your home? How do you recognize them?
|Nom français||Raton Laveur|
|Nom latin||Procyon lotor|
Description: What is their physical appearance?
The raccoon or wild cat is identifiable by its tail ringed with white and black. His face is wearing some kind of black mask. It is a robust medium-sized animal. It measures between 0.65 and 0.96 meters in length and weighs between 6.5 and 16 kg.
The male is usually larger than the female.
Its delicate little, extremely sensitive hands are very adept at handling small objects.
Thanks to its short legs with narrow feet, it climbs easily in trees and on the structures of houses. He is a good swimmer; and even if he seems to be a clumsy walker, he can sting speeds of 25 km/h.
How harmful is the presence of raccoons in your home?
Raccoons live near streams, usually in hollow trees. It can also live under the roots of trees, in abandoned burrows, in holes dug on the ground, brush, murals, can tuck in by your soffites of your home and garages.
When he finds himself in the city or in an inhabited place, it is because he has lost himself… Peaceful animal, do not be afraid and react calmly. Putting it back in its natural environment is the only thing to do, and that work is regulated.
Not to add stress to his wandering is to call on an extermination pro who will trap him and win him in the wild as part of the integrated management.
Whether it’s Montreal or elsewhere, he easily finds places that suit him: stables, abandoned buildings, crevices, attics, fireplaces, cavities, barns, etc.
From late summer to fall, raccoons eat a lot. It accumulates reserves in the form of fats for its survival during the months of November, December, January and February.
Harmful to your pets and more
Raccoon intrusion can lead to the contamination of many of our pets with vermin such as roundworms. Accidentally ingested, they are a source of disease.
Raccoons can carry deadly sylvatic rabies for humans!
How do I identify a rabid raccoon?
- On his face covered in bites,
- To the strange noises it emits that are similar to those of a distressed cat,
- At his hyper-activity,
- To his difficulty in keeping the balance.
If you have been bitten, do the following very quickly. Waiting is taking the risk of dying:
- Immediately wash the bite with soapy water. Then rinse thoroughly,
- Apply an antiseptic solution,
- Go to the doctor immediately. He will check your vaccination and subject you (if necessary) to antibiotic therapy.
The bite is so dangerous that from time to time it is set up vaccination campaigns.
Hantavirus, definition and mode of transmission
Hantavirus is a severe lung syndrome caused by a virus. It is secreted in the urine, feces and saliva of infected animals. Most often these are rodents. When humans come into direct or indirect contact with these secretions, the virus is transmitted to them. Ditto when they are bitten by infected rodents.
However, the virus is not transmitted from human to human, only from animal to human. This type of disease is called zoonoses because they can only be transmitted to humans through an animal. It has been found that domestic animals (apart from the domestic rat) and livestock cannot contract hantavirus so there is every reason to believe that only rodents can carry it.
Symptoms of hantavirus
Being a lung disease, one of the characteristic symptoms of hantavirus is difficulty breathing. At the beginning of the disease, the infected person begins to feel fever, chills, headache and muscle pain.
It is about two weeks after the appearance of the first symptoms that they are usually accompanied by a feeling of shortness of breath. Nevertheless, this last manifestation of the disease can be observed after two days as after six weeks; it depends on the organism of the individual.
Hantavirus can also lead to kidney disease or infection. And although they are rare and very few people are prone to them, there is currently no treatment to combat these ailments. It is therefore better to be careful not to contract them.
Here are 6 exterminator tips to guard against the presence of raccoons
- Be very careful in storing your garbage. For these aces of the dig, an overflowing trash can is a free and free buffet of rejoicing. Make sure your containers are solid and very difficult to open. Remember that raccoons are skilled with their hands;
- Preferably, buy matching metal lid bins that you can block yourself;
- Wash your garbage cans regularly with bleach;
- At your vegetable garden, install ammonia-covered objects;
- Spread the smell of a dangerous predator for the raccoon in the garden and around your garbage cans. You will find this kind of repellent in the trade; (coyote urine)
Catching the raccoon: how the professional exterminator does it
. It cannot be harmed.
For this reason, if you suffer from an epidemic,the exterminators in Montreal will simply capturethem.
They will trap them and release them in a protected environment in an animal reserve or in the forest.
But be careful, know how to recognize a true professional exterminator specialized in the capture of raccoons. It:
- Has an authorization from the Quebec Ministry of Wildlife and Parks for the capture and relocation of wild animals,
- Has a C5 licence from the Quebec Ministry of Sustainable Development; which means it captures raccoons by following Environment Canada regulations,
- Has a specific and precise working method:
- It uses certified professional technicians in the capture and extermination of wild animals,
- He quickly moves to the scene to ensure that it is an assault by raccoons, determines the source and measures its strength.
- It defines and applies an appropriate method of capture.
- Intervenes with total discretion. For example, it uses vehicles that look nothing like exterminator vehicles.
- Gives you a written guarantee on the effectiveness of its raccoon capture.
And you, have you ever suffered the presence of a raccoon in your yard or on your land?