Mice are among the oldest mammals in the world. For 65 million years, some specimens have infested our buildings as well as our crops.
In Quebec, these crane-like structures are friendly to some, but hated to others. By gnawing on electrical wires, they cause fires, food waste and spread diseases of all kinds. We need to act very quickly and contact the exterminator to deratize and eliminate these small rodents
What species of mice proliferate in the house? What is their life cycle? What are their habits? How to exterminate them in the event of an infestation? How can we prevent the infestation of mice?
|French name||Mouse, Domestic Mouse|
|English name||Mouse, House mouse|
|Latin name||Mus musculus|
In Canada, we have several species of mice: the harvester mouse, the Snew, the waterfall mouse, the Sitka, the white-legged mouse, the northern grasshopper mouse.
Here are the 3 most invasive:
The Scots Mouse
This species of rodent is brown or grey. Its coat is grey at the root, while the tip of the hairs of its belly, its flanks, the underside of its tail and its legs are white. Its weight is 12 to 30 grams. The tip of its hairy tail has a small tuft of hair.
The white-legged mouse
It weighs between 15g and 30g. Its coat ranges from greyish brown to reddish-brown on the back. Her belly, throat and legs are white. The tip of its tail is hairless.
Finally, the common mouse, the most common in our food pantry…
The common grey mouse still called a house mouse can be recognized by:
- His pointed snout,
- His ears are very developed compared to the rest of his body,
- Its back with an ochre brown coat and its dark grey belly. Note that its coat can vary from white (in albinos) to black,
- His thin paws and the whitish end of his toes,
- Its long, scaly tail,
- His five pairs of udders including three on the pectorals and two on the pelvic part,
- Its weight, ranging from 10 to 50 grams for the heaviest,
- Its size up to 20 cm taking into account its tail.
Professional Extermination: Jocelyne St-André and René Gélinas
Controlling the infestation is good, finding the origin to treat it and eradicating it is better
The life cycle of this small rodent
The common mouse or mouse has an intense reproductive rhythm: it reproduces throughout the year, with an increase in the number of matings in the spring and late summer.
The litters are 5 to 15 per year, sometimes with 18 mice per litter. This very rapid rate of reproduction is favoured by the ability of the female to ovulate 12 to 18 hours after the sheer range.
The female is sexually mated in 1 month and a half, the male in 2 months.
This rapid sexual maturity explains its proliferation and the massive colonization of buildings and food reserves.
At birth, the mice are blind, hairless, they are breastfed for three weeks.
Mice have a life expectancy of up to 2 to 3 years.
Are mice so harmful?
They are nocturnal rodents whose sense of smell is excellent, and the taste and touch overdeveloped. In the same group, some will be very reckless, getting closer to the traps, others will be afraid.
These rodents live with humans. They love all our buildings:
- commercial structures,
- transport sites, etc.
They will rarely move away from it. in the countryside, they will take possession of the cultivated and wooded areas.
These little rodents are all granivorous. The house mouse is omnivorous. It feeds as much on:
- uncultivated seeds,
- food in your pantry,
- organic waste, etc.
Many people have an aversion or even an uncontrollable phobia for mice. This is nothing compared to their actual nuisance:
- Mice are vectors of diseases,some fatal to humans.
For example, they carry leptospirosis,a serious illness that is responsible for hospitalizations and deaths each year.
Another example? The Scots mouse carries the fatal Hanta virus to humans in 15 to 50% of cases.
What is hanta virus?
It is a virus that can cause a rare but very serious lung disease, called pulmonary syndrome due to hanta viruses. This virus was first detected in humans in 1993, but it probably has been around for several years.
The first cases appeared in rural areas of the southwestern United States. Each year, fewer than 35 cases are reported in the United States and about three in Canada
Note that mice poison 10 times more food than they eat.
- They cause a lot of damage to buildings. For example, they gnaw, eat electrical wires, causing short-circuiting and fires.
Infestation: what to do?
To get rid of mice you can try to trap with the or poison the mice with raticide yourself.
It is wiser to call in an exterminator in Montreal, he will be able to do it effectively. Because the slightest mistake on your part will be highly damaging to you.
For example, many people destroy mice using rodenticides, raticides,mouse traps or rat.
Certainly, these products kill mice and otherrodents. But before exhaling, the mouse has time to move to a corner of the living room or return to the structure of the house.
- In the first case, your cat can find the mouse and poison himself with
- in the second, the mouse will rot and stink for a long time.
In addition, some insects such as bacon dermestes or calliphorids feed on rodent corpses. It won’t be long before you get to know another infestation.
Professional Mouse Extermination: Animal Alert
Controlling the infestation is good, finding the origin to treat it to eradicate it is better
Contact Animal Alert
- Extermination of mice in compliance withEnvironment Canadaregulations, as attested by its permit from the Quebec Ministry of Sustainable Development with the inscription C5: Extermination.
- Our certified pest management technicians quickly come to the site of the infestation.
- We do an analysis and confirm the extent of the problem and determine the source of the infestation.
- We then offer you an invasion-appropriate treatment and advise you on what to do to prevent mice from attacking you again in the near future.
- We use unmarked vehicles and remain discreet in all interventions.
- We offer a written guarantee on the effectiveness of its treatment againstmassive mouse attack
- It knows how to choose pesticides suitable for your infestation and makes it a safe use. Make sure: if he has a permit from the Quebec Ministry of Sustainable Development.
To save you from their infestation
With a little discipline and prevention, it is quite possible to avoid a massive mouse attack:
- Fill the holes around the pipes with steel wool before caulking them with sheets of galvanized metal,
- Cover your ventilation ducts with a thin metal mesh,
- Remove all areas that can accommodate the rodent’s nest,
- Keep dry food in metal or glass containers,
- Prevent the infestation by properly managing your household garbage,
- Cut weeds and tall weeds.
- Owning a cat
Read also about rodents: