How do you recognize a carpenter ant from another species of ant? This is a question to ask before any treatment: it is necessary to identify the invasive ant species before acting.
It is quite common to confuse termites or spins with carpenter ants for example because these insects attack wood.
Although these insects do damage and galleries in your frame or woodwork, the effects and impacts are not the same.
Ants can also colonize your pantry and closets because they are very greedy. They stock up on winter. Carpenter ants are destructive and do damage in a house. It is therefore important to treat carpenter ants, but not just any way!
If you spray insecticides yourself, this can be ineffective and even worsen the infestation. Ants may move their nests to another part of the house where they will be harder to find for the exterminator.
The advice and methods of a pest management expert are essential to effectively control any insect.
The first signs of carpenter ant infestation
The clearest sign is when ants are visually seen when they are looking for food. In the spring, when breeding, winged ants can also be seen. Sawdust can also be seen on the ground, often at the entrance to the anthill.
These signs are indicative of the presence of a colony of ants. You should then contact a specialist quickly to eliminate them.
A reliable and quality anti-ant intervention
Once the parasitic management expert has clearly defined that carpenter ants have taken up residence in your home, this insect specialist will offer you effective solutions at the heart of an integrated control that will exterminate the colony of ants and prevent them from returning.
The exterminator is a professional who follows a rigorous procedure and uses insecticides approved by the Canadian state. The professional takes the following steps:
- First, identify the invasive ant species
- Find the ant nest or satellite nests, inside or outside the house (spot the ants’ entry)
- Eliminate the nest and especially the queen to prevent the ants from building their nest elsewhere
- Eliminate all sources of infiltration that can promote the arrival of carpenter ants (crack, dead wood, water leak…).
Professionals handle insecticides that are harmful to human health and the environment with great care, in accordance with current laws. Increasingly, organic products are being used to preserve biodiversity.
During this appointment, the specialist in parasitic management will take the opportunity to explain the right things to do or how to avoid the infestation of other unsympathetic insects such as cockroaches,bed bugs, flies…
The causes of an ant infestation are numerous
- Replacing wooden floors or old windows to improve home insulation
- Renewing the caulking of doors and windows
- A tree stump that rots in the garden
- Bringing firewood back into the house
- Buy an old piece of furniture from an ant-infested flea market. Moreover, this is also true for bed bugs, cockroaches or other pests
If you have noticed ants coming and going in your home, don’t wait and quickly call on a competent pest management expert. These experts will find a sustainable solution that is adapted to each situation.